Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Achors of Hope

Have you ever come across a passage of scripture that you forgot that you loved or clung to at one point? It happened to me last night. I was doing my quiet time and I don't know why but the song "Acres of Hope"* by Shane&Shane came into my head. If you have time, I would highly recommend downloading it (make it the whole Clean album while you are at it). It is based off of Hosea 2:14-16 and speaks of God redeeming Isreal, bring her back from the wild ways that she had wandered. Personally, I feel like this is what is happening here in Rwanda. I was not necessarily wild this past year but I was certianly rebellious and stubborn. I feel like my heart is being softened again and that concept of God being "husband" rather than "master" (or, I will sadly admit, I saw more like "unpredictable, unreliable dictator/puppetmaster") is a possibilty and reality. It is a beautiful picture of redemption and grace - because it is so undeserved, so generous, and so complete.

14 "Therefore I am now going to allure her;
I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her.

15 There I will give her back her vineyards,
and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.
There she will sing as in the days of her youth,
as in the day she came up out of Egypt.

16 "In that day," declares the LORD,
"you will call me 'my husband';
you will no longer call me 'my master.'





*I'm not really sure why it is called "acres" when the word is "Achor". "Achor" means "trouble" - a more suiting description in my opinion

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's such a beautiful picture of who God can be to every woman! Perhaps that is why He choses to describe us as His bride - so we will have that image of Him as our loving and protective husband - the one who puts a song in our heart.
Remember the verse I gave you when you graduated from HS - this is how I picture God views you now too - Zephaniah 3:15

Anonymous said...

beautiful, Lauren! thanks for sharing your thoughts...they are amazing -- it sounds like the Lord is really making Himself known to you in Rwanda. I love all your updates...keep them coming! I'm praying for you!