Friday, July 18, 2008

First Day in Kigali



I have arrived in Kigali and am writing to you as I sit at my new desk here at the World Relief Rwanda headquarters. I arrived last night around 7:00pm (1:00pm for you at home) and was greeted by a handful of the World Relief staff at the airport. Thomas sends his hello's to everyone! I didn't get to bed until about 11:00pm because I was having a wonderful time getting to know Kayijuka and his family. They have been great hosts and have made sure that I am well taken care of.

This morning came quickly as we had to be at hq early for the chapel service and then Myal and I went over my job description, expectations, timelines, etc. It is going to be a busy three months and it is going to go by so fast! I have been given some neat projects and I am very excited to do them and to do them well. In many ways I view my success here as imparative - almost redemptive - to my own sense of self. I know, my identity can not be found in what I do - I get that - well, sometimes - I'm growing in that. I do, however, think it is important to be able to use your gifts and passions. There is a sense of fufillment that comes from that and in some ways, that has been so lacking in my own life.

I have included a few pictures so that you can see where I will be working (well, part of the time!). There are two pictures of the view from Headquarters and then Headquarters itself. There will be many more to follow so keep checking back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you have arrived safely and are excited about what the Lord has in store for you over the next couple of months!

Unknown said...

love the photos! glad to hear you are safe and well taken care of. what a great adventure you are begining! live each day to the fullest and pour yourself out as a drink offering to the glory of God!

Natalie Burns said...

Lauren,

Praying for you girl! I am sooo excited for you! Keep us all updated on here-- I want to hear ALL about it.

Miss seeing your warm smile!