Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things

It is hard to believe that I have been here for four weeks already! In many ways it feels like the time has gone by very, very quickly. In other ways, it feels like a lifetime ago that I was saying goodbye to my mom and brother at the airport. Regardless, I have come across many things that I love here in Rwanda and I thought I would share some of them with you:
  • Walking to work and then home again in evenings and being stared at by the schoolchildren. Most are brave and say, "Bonjour" and their smiles become a million miles wide when I start speaking French back to them.
  • Going for runs in the morning and seeing the sun rise over the hills of Kigali
  • Chapati - why I have to run in the first place
  • Clemence, my office mate, who makes me laugh more than anyone else here
  • The guards - whether it be at the office or at home - they are so cute and I just want to hug them all (no worries, I won't)
  • Song 146 in the green song book. I don't know what it says but I constantly have it stuck in my head
  • Spending time journaling. I don't do it nearly as much as I wish I did but when I do, I love it
  • Getting emails and facebook messages from home.
  • CitrusMint gum - my after lunch treat
  • The smiles of the pastors that we come in contact with and the huge hearts that they have for their congregations
  • The old women who always hug me and and grab my hands. I'm not sure what they are saying to me but I could "talk" to them all day
  • Walking home past the embassies and the Rwandan "White House" every day - kind of like DC...
  • The 75 degree weather every day

I'm sure there are a million more but these are the ones that come to mind immediately as I sit here. Life is good and I'm happy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you do seem happy! life is good!

Anonymous said...

Kugukunda Mwami Yesu
Kuruhukir' i Wawe
Nkaba mu gituza cyawe
birankwiriye rwose
Kwemer'amahoro yawe,
Kuko waje kunkiza
No kumenya kwera kwawe
Bihora binnezeza

To love you Lord Jesus
and to rest in your house
it's what is right for me
to accept your peace
because you came to save me
bring me happiness